Making Diaper Cakes Photo Gallery
Our diaper cake baby shower photo gallery has lots of pictures and ideas to help you make your own diaper cake. Take your favorite ideas and put them together to make your own masterpiece!
This section has the twin diaper cakes. If you would like to see more categories, click on the diaper index link below.
If you decide to make a diaper cake for a baby shower make sure to to take pictures and share your project with us!
I made this diaper cake for my husbands coworker who was having twins. It was made with 50 size 1 diapers, 1 receiving blanket and 9 various baby items.
I started with a small paper towel tube then start wrapping around about 7 rows for diapers. Tie with ribbon then start the second row and make 5 rows of diapers, tie with ribbon. Then start the small row-about 3 rows. Tie off this row of diapers with a ribbon. Place a stuffed animal on top then some baby toys, teethers and pacifiers. Place a stuffed animal on tap and wa la you have a diaper cake!!! This diaper cake was for a boy and girl.
1st STEP ~ MAKING TIER MOLDS (Here is an easy way that will help you make the tiers with ease)
Sharpie (black pen)
- Take a 20" x 28" poster board and use a sharpie (black felt pen)
- Lay it length wise. Start by drawing a line 28" x 3" mark it TIERS 1 & 2 (a), next measure 28" x 3" mark it TIER 3(a), next 28" x 3" mark it TIER 4(a), finally another 28" x 3" marking it 5(a)
- Next section will be 9" x 3" mark it TIER 3 (b) using the remainder of the space 19" x 3" mark with Tier 5 (c),
- Next section 21" x 3" mark with 4(b), the rest of the space 7" x 3" is a waste (get rid of).
- Next section (final section) 11 ¾" x 3" mark with TIER 5(b), using the remainder of the space 16 ¼" x 3" mark with CUPCAKE & Tier 2(b)
(WITH your poster board strips .)
- Tiers 1 & 2(a) take both ends bring together overlapping 2 3/4" use staples to fasten the two sides together
- Tier 3(a) & 3(b) over lap the two together by 1" (staple) then take both ends bring together overlapping 2 ¼" staple.
- Tiers 4(a) & 4(b) overlap the two together by ¾" (staple) then take both ends bring together overlapping 1 ½" (staple)
- Tiers 5(a), 5(b) & 5(c) Overlap (a) & (b) by 6 ½" (staple) overlap (b) & (c) by 2 ¾" (staple) then take both ends bring together overlapping 2 ½" (staple)
- Cupcake bring together overlapping by 1 ½" (staple)
Now you have 5 molds to help you with creating your tiers --- saves so much time because all you have to do is grab the marked circles that you will need to make specific cakes ~ Cupcakes, 2-tiers all the way up to a 5-tier.
2nd STEP ~ ROLLING DIAPERS
Size ½ diapers
One empty box
- The amount of diapers I have notices vary depending on size of cake.
- Set two boxes next to you. (one empty, one with the diapers)
- Set diaper in front of you, open up so that the inside is facing up. (not opening the flaps of the diaper) Diaper is approx. 4.5 inches wide now.
- Loosely roll the diapers from one end to the other. I use my fore-finger and thumb a simple way to measure the width of the diaper (should fill in the gab you have from fore-finger to thumb)
- Secure with small elastics on both ends of the diaper roll. Place neatly in empty box so that the elastics don't snap. (I like to roll extra they will be used next time you make a cake)
3rd STEP ~ MAKING the TIERS
- Now that the mold are made this will be simple and FAST.
-(This Twin cake is a 3-tier) Take molds cupcake, 1&2 Tier, and the 3rd Tier molds
- Place the rolled diapers into your molds, until the molds is snug (easiest start from the outside and work in)
- Make sure the sides of the diapers that are open are turned into the center of the mold (makes it look better)
- You will notice that with the mold you have approx 11/2" of the diaper showing over the mold.
- Take what ever ribbon you are going to use (I choose green because of the theme frog and ducks) wrap it around the diapers and give yourself enough that you can tie with (cut).
- Make sure the ribbon isn't touching the mold only the diapers and secure
- CAREFULLY, flip the mold over slide down the mold exposing the other side of the diapers you haven't tied. (repeat above)
- Carefully and slowly remove the mold. (CONGRATS you just made your first tier continue on with the other molds)
4th STEP ~ CONNECTING THE TIERS
Card board (corrugated cake circles or if that's not on hand cardboard works the same just with an added step)
Something to punch holes with
Circle stencils (or circle object ;) they work too)
(Light Candle and put it out of the way)
- Either use your circle stencils or objects (I recommend making stencils to keep on hand you can grab quickly for the next time rather then search for the same object) Cut four card board circles (13", 12.5", 9", & 4.5")
- If circles are cut out of brown cardboard wrap circles with wrapping paper (baby theme).
- place 4 holes in each of the cardboard circles large enough to pass string through. (I usually I put the holes from the ends of the circle like this on the 12.5" approx 3", 12.5" approx 1.5", and 1" on the 4.5" circle reason: when securing the string it won't rip the cardboard)
- Cut two pieces of string approx. a foot longer than twice the height of your finished cake.
- (Now the candle comes into play) Take one end of the string dip 3 inches into the melted wax - let dry. Repeat for the second string. (This makes it a lot easier to thread string through the holes.)
- Feed the string through two separate holes from the bottom to the top and back down to the bottom.
- tie tightly all strings tightly at the bottom (opposite, then pairs added support)
- cut off excess string ends (don't throw away if longer than 12")
- Hot glue the bottom. Your going to connect the bottom of the cake to the 13" circle. Try to eye it so that it's even on all sides. You should now have a .5" lip
(Cake is ready to decorate)
THINGS NEED FOR TWIN CAKE
(This cake is a theme cake
frog = green = boy
duck = yellow = girl)
(3) Receiving blanket (1- solid yellow, 1- solid green, & 1- decorated yellow and green)
(2) Hooded Towels (1- duck, 1- frog)
(2) Infant socks ( 1- frog, 1- duck)
(4) Wash Cloths ( 1- yellow, 1- Orange, 1- green, & 1- blue/green)
(2) Spoons (1- green, 1-yellow)
(2) Booties (1- duck faced, 1-frog faced)
(2) Onesies (1- frog, 1- duck)
(2) Bibs (1- duck face, 1- frog face)
Clip and wiggle friend
Stuffed animals ~ Duck and Frog
Lg. Chocolate bar
(4) bobble head animals
"It's a girl" 2" ribbon
"It's a boy" 2" ribbon
Hot glue gun
Mini cloths pins (white and green)
Green curling ribbon
White curling ribbon
Green Transparent paper
Yellow Transparent Paper
Med. Clear Elastics
Foam sheets (orange, yellow, white, green, brown, black, blue, light blue, pink, red, blue/green)
Safety Pins (small and med.)
STEP 1 ~ BOARDER
- take a piece of string and push pin. Take one end push pin it to the center of the "lip" of the diaper cake. Wrap it around; making sure that the string only stays on the lip part. Stop where you began
mark with ink pen. This gives you the measurement of the diameter of the lip around the cake.
-(I won't get long winded here because I make boarders as a personal preference) I first draw pictures in my sketch book. If I like it I will go over it with ink. Then I will RE-draw it on a tracing paper. This becomes my stencil because I will draw what I using a carbon need paper on the foam with the picture flipped so that the carbon marking doesn't show.
- HOWEVER, if I feel I will probably be using this drawing again, I will make a cardboard stencil.
- I will then put it to the side ready to put on once I have the tier covered.
STEP 2 ~ COVERING TIERS
(Plug in glue gun)
This is a twin cake I wanted the cake to be divided right down the middle. Again I used the string around the lip idea. Folded the string in half there's my halfway mark.
- I attached the string w/ push pin to the cardboard base wrapped it around the lip till it stopped at the halfway mark. Lightly marked both sided with pencil.
- I usually start with the bottom tier. I took the FROG- hooded towel. Folded it into 4 wrapped it around HALF the cake with the excess I neatly folded it behind. I secured the frog hooded towel in place from pencil mark to pencil mark. (making sure there's no wrinkles)
- REPEAT with the Duck hooded towel. Opposite side pencil mark to pencil mark.
- If there is a space showing between the two first, release a little of the folded part OR unsecure the top part of the hooded towel in front use a small safety pin to join the two towels, then re-secure both towels. (You should now have the bottom tier divided in half by two hooded towels) Repeat the above with the solid receiving blanket on the second tier.
- Top Tier you will need to fold the 3rd and final receiving blanket several times to make it fit properly.
(I at this time attach the boarder)
ATTACHING STUFFED ANIMALS (Frog and Duck)
- take 4 pieces of string approx 10" (e)... where the string securing the tiers crossing on top Slide the string under. Take Frog first (stuffy) place where you want it and Tie down each leg separately. Then take the duck REPEAT. Now you will see that the two animals aren't sitting straight simple solution take the two sided tape place it between the two (will not damage the stuffed animals)
-Take both the "it's a boy" and "it's a girl" 2" ribbon. This ribbon have little foot prints and little hand prints. I cut the girl ribbon straight down the center of the foot and hand prints leaving you with one print of each.
- With glue (hot) dab glue on the second foot / hand print of the boy ribbon. MATCH the girl ribbon to the boy ribbon. When you attach the girl ribbon to the boy it will look like the ribbon continued without a flaw only thing is it's now half boy half girl ribbon.
- Now that your receiving blankets are on. Center the ribbon on to the cake so that it too is dividing the cake. Do the same to the back. (LOOKS GREAT)
DECORATING(frog side = boy side)
- Tuck in the frog bib under the frog. It will not lie nicely, therefore use push pins where needed.
- Using mini cloths pins clip on the booties to the receiving blanket and a bit of the hidden rolled diaper (second and third level)
- Fold onesie and roll. Put elastics on both sides. Take two different colors of green curl ribbon, tie on both sides, and curl. Cut a 10" piece of string feed it through the back of the onesie ribbon. Pull up a diaper (not too much just enough to get your fingers in) put one end of string though the elastic of the diaper and tie the string ends together. Replace diaper onesie will fall into place.
- Take sock rattle, fold it not inside out but enough that the frog head is showing. Put a push pin in the back and push it into place on opposite sides of the bib.
- Take bath froggies place the randomly everywhere but only on the frog side of the cake.
-(lolly pop will be explained later) Place lolly pop where you see fit.
- Take frog socks and place them on top of each other over the ribbon in FRONT of the cake on frog side.
(duck side = girl side)Try to follow the same as the frog side.
- Place head band between duck booties secure with push pins. Place hair elastics on both side of the duck bib (so that it looks like the duck has ears)
- Baby shampoo is yellow therefore it belonged on the yellow side.
(back and front)
- Place bobble head animals in random places. I found that sitting 2 in front and 2 in back with a tier separating them worked the best.
WASH CLOTH LOLLY-POP
(2) Wash Cloths (different colors)
- lay one wash cloth flat in front of you. Fold into one side into the center, opposite side into the center. Fold again over lapping the two sides. Fold one more time HOLD.
- wrap two elastics around the outside of the wash cloth.
- REPEAT folding
- take the rolled and roll it with the ready to roll wash cloth (combine the two together) HOLD.
- take spoon hold it behind the so called messy looking side of the roll.
- Take (4) elastics 1- cross it so that its sort of holding the spoon in place. 2- Cross it the opposite way (spoon will be better secured) 3- across the middle 4- straight down.
- cut a rectangle piece of transparent paper
- Holding transparent paper - place good side of lolly-pop into your palm (while you're holding the transparent paper)
- gather at the bottom. Secure with elastic. Then tie curling ribbon (curl)
As usual I used a paper towel roll as the center support post and tied the rolled up diapers around it with curling ribbon. Once I had two rows I folded and wrapped a receiving blanket around the bottom tower and safety pined the ends together. The dump trucks sat on top of the paper tower roll and were tied and decorated with more curling ribbon cascading down from under the trucks. These were for a friend having twin boys. They are super easy and fun to make, thanks for your ideas!
This is a diaper cake I made for my husband's cousin! I love making diaper cakes! I am just trying to get my business started! My company is Diapers By The Slice.
Here is a care bear twin diaper cake.
2 Tier Strawberry, Raspberry Cake with Solid Milk Chocolate Lollipops in shape of Baby Rattle, Baby Carriage, and Baby Face. www.myspace.com/memorylasting I make assorted gift ideas for Baby Showers, Weddings and any other event. Feel free to ask questions. Thank you for viewing my 2 Tier Strawberry, Raspberry Cake.
I made this diaper cake of Noah's Ark for a baby shower. Is only 56 diapers, baby's blanket, bottles, lotion, baby powder. And different animals. Noah's Ark is made by hand.
I made this Diaper cake for my Step-Daughter. It's the 1st one I've ever done. All the Baby goodies are inside the layers.She is having Twin Girls.
These cakes have a modern theme....with the traditional pink and blue on for a baby boy and baby girl...this diaper cake is three tiers and has a pack on onesies with a plush toy and lots of goodies hidden inside....
Just wanted to show some of our designs. Hope you like them. BabyFavorsAndGifts.com
Tell us about your diaper cake! We would love to hear all about it... I made my very first twin boys diaper cake and it was a piece of cake. Lol Just, imagine two cakes into one.
Who did you make it for? My neighbor had asked me if I could make it for one of her friends who had newborn twin boys.
Was there a theme or style you followed? There wasn't a theme but, my neighbor wanted me to put matching elephants for toppers so, I did and basically I worked with the pattern of the diapers to make the diaper cake.
How many diapers did you use in your cake? I used 120 unrolled diapers.
What were the ingredients? The diaper cake consist of everything double: 2 hats, 2 bottles, 2 stuffed elephants, 2 hand scratch mittens, 2 brush and comb sets, 2 pacifiers, 2 nasal aspirators, 2 medicine droppers, 2 washcloths, etc.
How did you make it? I made it with 120 unrolled diapers, baby toys, baby care products, ribbons and bows.